You can port an existing phone number to Numa. Please reach out to the Numa support for assistance in doing this.
Benefits of porting to Numa:
- Numa will receive all calls and text messages directed to your existing phone number.
- Numa can use your business number to send outbound text messages
- As Numa continues to evolve the call answering scripts in the product you'll be able to take advantage of more features.
What is the porting process like?
- Numa will gather some information in order to request the port (phone bill, service address, letter of authorization, pin)
- Using that information Numa will submit a port request to your existing carrier
- The carrier will approve/reject the request (usually happens within 3 business days)
- If the request is rejected, Numa may reach out to get more information from you and re-submit the port request
- When the request is accepted, a specific time for the port will be scheduled
- Your number will be ported to Numa at the scheduled time
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will the port process take?
The porting process typically takes 1-3 weeks.
Will I lose service during the porting process
No, as long as you maintain service with your existing phone provider and Numa until the end of the porting process you will not experience a service disruption.
Your phone number should work with your existing provider up until the time the number is ported and will work with Numa once the port is completed.
I use one mobile phone number for personal and business. What happens to my phone service when I port my phone number to Numa?
When a number is ported away from a carrier, the "losing carrier" typically just closes that phone line when the port is complete. If you have one phone number, for personal and business, then you may be without a mobile phone if you do that.
In this scenario we recommend getting another phone line before you port your phone number so you aren't without a mobile phone. This can be done a number of ways:
- You can go ahead and get another phone line with your existing carrier. It is best to reach out to your existing carrier and discuss how that may impact your current plan. When your existing number is ported away from your plan that line will be typically closed. You may need to transfer ownership of your account to the new line or another line on the account.
- You could open a new phone line with a different phone carrier.
The new line will become your personal phone number.
I have a separate mobile phone dedicated to my business. What happens to my phone service when I port my phone number to Numa?
When a number is ported away from a carrier, the "losing carrier" typically just closes that phone line when the port is complete. It is best to reach out to your existing carrier and discuss how that may impact your current plan. When your existing number is ported away from your plan that line will be typically closed. If you are under contract with your current carrier you may be charged a deactivation fee or early termination fee.
How does Numa ring my mobile phone after the port is complete?
When your port is complete you'll want to make sure you switch Numa answering to the 'call connector' script and enter the phone number that you want to ring when a call comes into your business phone number.